Outcomes of the Meeting of the Joint Steering Committee Held in Ottawa, Canada, 15-17 October 2001
This is a summary of the most important decisions made by the JSC at its meeting in Ottawa. A complete list of topics discussed is contained in the agenda.
Revising AACR2 to Accommodate Seriality
The text of the latest clean copy of chapter 12 and related rules prepared by the Library of Congress was
reviewed, and further changes were made. Many of the changes were editorial in nature. Some of the significant changes include:
- Specific instructions relating to title changes for electronic serials were removed.
- 12.3F1 was extended to allow only the designation of the last issue or part to be given if the first issue or part is not available.
- 12.7B23 (Item described) was revised to include instructions for serials (numbered and unnumbered), integrating resources, and remote access resources.
- Addition to a number of rules relating to notes the phrase If the changes have been numerous a general statement may be made.
- New glossary entry for Iteration: An instance of an integrating resource.
The revised text of chapter 12 will be included in the 2002 edition of AACR.
Rule Revision Proposals for Cartographic Materials
The text of the clean copy of chapter 3 prepared by ALA was reviewed, and further changes were made. Some of the significant changes include:
- 3.5B4 was simplified to remove the distinction between physically separate and not physically separate parts.
- The optional provision in rule 3.5D1 relating to the dimension of early and manuscript cartographic items was clarified.
- Throughout the chapter the term file characteristics was replaced by type and extent of resource.
- A number of rules (including 3.3F1, 3.5C2, 3.5C5) were enhanced by additional examples.
The revised text of chapter 3 will be included in the 2002 edition of AACR.
Publisher Statement Repeating Data From Title etc. Area
At the September 2000 meeting, JSC agreed that rule 1.4D4 should be deleted. At the October 2001 meeting JSC approved relevant changes to other rules, including:
- Removal of the reference to 1.4D4 in A.7A1.
- Changes to examples in a number of rules which had been formulated according to 1.4D4.
The revised rules will be included in the 2002 edition of AACR.
JSC Format Variation Working Group
Jennifer Bowen, chair of the JSC Format Variation Working Group, discussed the interim report of the Group. JSC revised the terms of reference for the Working Group to include continuation of work on an experimental database, exploration of collocation of expressions, and development of guidelines for when an item in hand represents a new expression.
JSC also decided that work should be conducted on incorporating terminology from the IFLA Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records in AACR. A separate terms of reference has been issued for this work.
Organisation of Part I of AACR2
Prior to the meeting the majority of constituencies had submitted their comments on the experimental prototype of reorganised part I of AACR. JSC agreed that the prototype represented simply a rearrangement of the rules and not a wide ranging reorganisation as was originally recommended by Delsey. However, the prototype did highlight a number of redundancies and discrepancies, and JSC asked ALA to identify these and prepare rule revision proposals.
JSC devoted a portion of the meeting to strategic planning, including the role of AACR in the changing information environment. Strategic planning will be the major focus of the JSC special planning meeting in May 2002.
Other Agenda Items
Among the other items discussed were:
- The revised Appendix of Major Changes prepared by ALA. Constituencies were asked to respond.
- A revised ALA proposal to remove area 3 from chapter 9. Constituencies were asked to consider the options presented.
- A discussion paper on multipart items. The Library of Congress was asked to prepare a rule revision proposal based on one of the recommendations.
- An ALA proposal to expand 24.1C to cover minor and major changes of name. ALA was asked to consider withdrawing the proposal.
- An ALA proposal to add examples relating to integrating resources to 9.7B17. It was suggested that ALA resubmit the proposal with the examples in a chapter 12 rule.
- An ALA proposal to expand rule 1.2B3 concerning edition statements. Due to negative responses, ALA was asked to consider withdrawing the proposal.
- A new CCC proposal that would permit qualification of headings used for Commonwealth heads of government (rule 24.20C1).
JSC Program of Work
- Rule 0.24 and Format Variation Working Group: interim report in Apr. 2002; discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Chapter 12 & related rules: included in rule revision package Feb. 2002.
- Chapter 3: included in rule revision package Feb. 2002.
- Rule 1.4D4 (Name of publisher): included in rule revision package Feb. 2002.
- Appendix of major changes: constituents responses by Apr. 13, 2002; discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Rule of three: discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Authority records in AACR: discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Multipart items: discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Specific characteristics of electronic resources: decision at Sept. 2002 JSC meeting; included in rule revision package Feb. 2003.
- Introduction to AACR2: second draft to JSC by Jan. 31, 2002; discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- General Material Designations (GMDs): discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Statement of principles: discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Organization of Part I of AACR2: discussion at May 2002 JSC planning meeting.
- Rule 24.20C1 (Dates or names to heads of governments): constituents responses by July 31, 2002; decision at Sept. 2002 JSC meeting; included in rule revision package Feb. 2003.
- FRBR terminology: rule revision proposals due by Apr. 30, 2002; constituents responses by July 31, 2002; decision at Sept. 2002 JSC meeting; included in rule revision package Feb. 2003.
JSC will meet the week of May 13, 2002 in New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.A.
30 January 2002