L-R: Sally Strutt; Matthew Beacom; Robert Atkinson; Nathalie Schulz; Ann Huthwaite; Deirdre Kiorgaard; Barbara Tillett; Margaret Stewart.
Outcomes of the Meeting of the Joint Steering Committee Held in Brisbane, Australia, 8-10 September 2003
This is a summary of the JSC meeting in Brisbane. A complete list of topics discussed is contained in the
JSC Format Variation Working Group
JSC discussed the fifth interim report of of the Format Variation Working Group (FVWG). The report contained a draft outline for chapter 25, indicating how the chapter might be reorganised to more fully integrate rules for creating expression-level headings. JSC asked the FVWG to prepare rule revision proposals for chapter 25 in time for discussion at the April 2004 meeting.
The report also contained the results of some preliminary analysis on GMDs and mode of expression. JSC gave some feedback to the FVWG to assist with future work in this area.
Incorporating FRBR Terminology in AACR
JSC reviewed a compilation of proposed revisions to FRBR terminology in chapters 1 and 13 prepared by the Secretary. JSC decided that responses from all constituencies were required to documents prepared by ALA and LC.
JSC noted that LC had prepared a proposal on FRBR terms in the Appendicies and Glossary. JSC will discuss this proposal in detail at the April 2004 meeting.
Consistency Across Part I of AACR
JSC discussed rule revision proposals on ISBD areas 2, 3, 4 and 6 from the ALA Task Force on Consistency across Part I of AACR. JSC asked the Task Force to prepare a prototype of part I for those areas for which it has already proposed rules. The prototype will show the JSC and its constituencies how part I may be changed by increasing the consistency of rules across all chapters in part I, and moving the resulting generalized rule to chapter 1.
The organisation of part I of AACR will be a major part of the discussions at the April 2004 JSC meeting. This discussion will draw on the work of the Consistency Task Force, the joint ALA/BL Task Force on the Reconceptualization of Chapter 9, ideas relating to the reorganization of part I by ISBD area, and include reconsidering the role of the class of materials concept.
Specific Characteristics of Electronic Resources and Conventional Terminology for Area 5.
JSC gave final approval to changes to remove area 3 from chapter 9. Area 5 will be used for type and extent of resource information.
JSC decided not to make changes to the lists of specific material designations (SMDs) in rules 9.5B1, 6.5B1 and 7.5B1. JSC asked ALA to prepare a background paper on SMDs for discussion in 2004.
Multipart Monographs and Basis of Description
JSC approved revisions to rules 21.2, 21.3A2, 21.6A1, and 21.30J1 to remove predominance as the basis of description for multipart monographs. Description will be based on the first part. The rules on basis of description at 1.0 were also revised.
One of the proposals from LC on multipart monographs provided an overview of the seriality of multipart monographs. CILIP/BL will prepare a discussion paper on this issue for consideration at the April 2004 meeting.
Other Agenda Items
Among the other items discussed were:
- Proposals related to area 8 (Uniform Resource Names (URNs) and qualification of standard numbers). JSC noted that the ISBD Review Group is examining area 8, and asked ALA to withdraw its original proposal on URNs. The BL proposal to change rule 1.8E2 was put on hold.
- BL proposal to revise rules A.2A, A.4A, and A.30 to cover capitalisation of single letters used to represent words, and multiple-letter prefixes in compound terms, in headings for corporate bodies e.g.eBay and netLibrary. JSC will discuss the proposal in detail at the April 2004 meeting.
- LC proposal on the transcription of series title (rules 1.6B1 and 1.0F1). JSC agreed that the link should be removed between series title transcription and the rules on the title proper of serials in chapter 12. The revised rules will be included in the 2004 update.
- The second report from the Joint ALA/BL Task Force to Reconceptualize Chapter 9. JSC asked the Task Force to hold off on any additional work pending discussion on the reorganisation of part I at the next JSC meeting.
- ALA proposal to revise the definition for coloured illustration in the Glossary. JSC asked ALA to re-examine the proposal.
- ALA proposal to revise rule 12.1E1 to remove the distinction between serials and integrating resouces. JSC approved the proposal and the revised rule will be included in the 2004 update.
JSC Program of Work
- Chapter 21/Rule of three: terms of reference for revising ch. 21 incorporated in wider plans for revising AACR.
- Authority control: rule revision proposal with draft of part III by December 1, 2003.
- Multipart items: some rules in 2004 rule revision package; CILIP/BL discussion paper on seriality by Feb. 2004; constituents responses by Mar. 2004; discussion at Apr. 2004 JSC meeting.
- Format Variation Working Group: rule revision proposals for chapter 25; and, further analysis on mode of expression, by Feb. 2004; constituents responses by Mar. 2004; discussion at Apr. 2004 JSC meeting.
- Specific characteristics of electronic resources: some rules in 2004 rule revision package; discussion paper on SMDs in 2004.
- GMDs/Class of materials concept: incorporated in wider plans for revising AACR.
- Consistency in part I of AACR2: third set of rule revision proposals by Feb. 2004; constituents responses by Mar. 2004; discussion at Apr. 2004 JSC meeting.
- FRBR terminology: constituents responses by Mar. 2004; discussion at Apr. 2004 JSC meeting.
- Uniform Resource Names: proposal withdrawn by Oct. 14, 2003.
- Conventional terminology in area 5 for chapters 6 & 7: some rules in 2004 rule revision package; discussion paper on SMDs in 2004.
- Punctuation in dimmensions: in 2004 rule revision package.
- Abbreviation of metric symbols: changes included in next edition of AACR.
- Capitalisation of single letters: constituents responses by Mar. 2004; discussion at Apr. 2004 JSC meeting.
- Qualification of standard numbers: rule 1.8E2 - on hold until decsion made on ISBD area 8.
- Introduction to AACR: draft outline in 2004.
- Malay names: two rules in 2004 rule revision package.
- AACR Glossary: changes included in next edition of AACR.
- Considered to be important: changes included in next edition of AACR.
- Punctuation in language examples: changes included in next edition of AACR.
- Transcription of series title: in 2004 rule revision package.
- Correction of example in rule 3.1F1: in 2004 rule revision package.
- Additional example in rule 3.5B3: in 2004 rule revision package.
- Replace main/added entry terminology: further rule revision proposals in 2004.
- Reconceptualization of chapter 9: Chair to issue follow-up document to 2nd report of the Joint ALA/BL Task Force by Nov. 3, 2003.
- Basis of description (1.0A): in 2004 rule revision package.
- Coloured ill.: follow-up document by Feb. 2004; constituents responses by Mar. 2004; discussion at Apr. 2004 JSC meeting.
- Rule 12.1E1: in 2004 rule revision package.
JSC will meet the week of April 19, 2004, in Ottawa, Canada.
20 November 2003